Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Beauty-licious (Revamp that Skin!)

It was 10 years ago (my sophomore year in high school) when pimples and all sorts of facial problems (I guessed) started sprouting all over my face. As television the main medium of info, the ramp for me those times was the line of products which were anti-pimple, anti-acne, anti-acne marks, oil-free and pimple-free solutions, astringents, creams and the choice was eternal… I was so stressed and I even felt exhausted in finding the right product and regimen on how to stop the field that’s growing on my once-flawless and virgin face.

After so much depleted trials from product to product and exasperation, I finally ended to using nothing! I did an examination of my self why I had pimples. Background check, both my father and mother sides have a history of this kind (except that my mother is pimple-free). So my blood has its share why I had the problem. Next thing, the kind of foods I’m eating. I realized we put so much stuff ON our skin we sometimes forget that what we take internally also affects how we look.

I would like to share my knowledge of foods I had researched and tapped with to be taken to beautify our skin:

Avocado. A part of various lotions and bath oils, this fruit is known as the skin moisturizer.

Strawberry. Aromatic, juicy and intensely appetizing. This fruit purifies skin and promotes good digestion to flush out toxins.

Banana. Full of potassium and zinc. This common fruit repairs tissues and is good for healing wounds (those nasty scars) and flushing out toxins. My personal fave! It has pectin that repairs tissues making skin flawless, spotless, supple and milky-looking. It can cool off the temperature inside our bodies so if the weather is hot – it’s best to take in some bananas. Its cooling effect is the main reason why this fruit is being advised to pregnant women. During pregnancy I’d always eat banana and even if I’m not anymore pregnant I make sure me and my family get a daily dose of it.

Horseradish. Has regenerative, cleansing, disinfecting effects on blemished skin. If used in bath, it promotes blood circulation.

Carrot. This vegetable contains large quantities of carotene, vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B2 and C. This veggie improves the protective and healing ability of the skin against infection, injury and inflammation. Its carotene content enables the body to make vitamin A – a lack of this nutrient causes large pores, dry rough skin and blemishes.

Lemon. A very rich source of vitamin C. Regular intake reduces the appearance of scars and unsightly bruises.

Cucumber. One of the best skin cleansers that is suitable for even hypersensitive skin which cannot tolerate soap or hard water.

Papaya. A useful skincare ingredient for us girls because it contains enzyme papain which digests protein and rids the skin of dead cells that can clog pores and lead to spots.

Tomato. Contains vitamins C, A and B complex; the juice of fresh tomatoes cleanses, refines and beautifies skin.

Oat. The kernels contain starch, proteins, traces of fat and minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus. According to Swiss physician Dr. Bricher-Benner, oat flakes soaked in water for 12 hours and then mixed with honey, lemon juice, yogurt and various kinds of fruits and eaten regularly, will make the hair glossy and elastic and the skin smooth and fine. It also improves one’s physical and mental health.

It does not hurt to eat the fruits and vegetables I have mentioned above. An ample supply of these can replenish the nutrients our bodies lack which we don’t get from our daily meals due to rush hours and rush cooking. As the cliché goes, beauty must be inside and out. Wherefore what we eat is what we get. Be beautiful inside and out!

1 comment:

  1. Banana is the best. It is long, it is somewhat straight, soft and delicious. Try mo!

    ReplyDelete