Monday, January 27, 2014

Korea's Best Foods in Davao

The only remembrance I had in my thoughts from Korean people is their kimchi. We used to have batches of these tiny-eyed and porcelain-skinned visitors when I was in my grade school years. My father is a minister and we have different kinds of foreigners for mission field trips arriving in the church, those times we were living in a pastoral house (parsonage) so we got numbers of them all throughout. Particularly with our Korean visitors, when they're in the house, we always had kimchi on the table. I wasn't able to eat it when I was kid but when I married Rex, and I started to roam the supermarkets all by myself, I got a hold of a jar of kimchi. It then started my gusto for these chinese pechay soaked in chili powder. I also have an elder friend who makes kimchi that's too yummy for me - it means her kimchi is not overrated with spiciness. Tamang-tama lang ang anghang. Pang pinoy ang level ng anghang.

I've heard Davao City hosts a lot of Asian restaurants. I've already tried Chinese and Japanese cuisine but they're not for me, not for my low-class taste buds. I'm not a foodie but there'd be times I need justice for what I pay. (laugh) Kelangan kong mabusog. Last December, my sister-in-law and his husband brought us to Gomone, a Korean restaurant owned and managed by an authentic Korean (as I say so). I liked their samgyeopsal and most of all their ice-cold coffee! I even asked for a second round. Sure it's a 100% Korean food experience but the dishes were all super-maanghang! I needed to drink a lot of water and stuff more rice inside my mouth to contain my self from firing from the inside! (laugh) The servings were superb though. I also liked the dish that has rice noodles. I wasn't into knowing the names of what they were serving on our table because I was too busy soothing my tongue. Hehe. Maybe I'll give myself another try anytime this year to see if I can fight a good fight of spice.(wink again)

Last weekend, we ate at Manna Korean Restaurant. And here, I'd say I have eaten a lot. Still, I'm in love with their samgyeopsal, they have red lettuce and first time I tried bibimpab. We also had mandoo and kimbap. What I also like about these Korean restaurants we've been to is that their side dishes or appetizers can already feed one - and they are for free!

Side dishes at Manna





samgyeopsal




Here's a few trivia I got while waiting for my dinner at Manna:



No comments:

Post a Comment